Wondering how to do Indian Railways Reservation? You are at the right place. Indian Railways calls for reservations on all travel classes except second class. You can make reservation both online and in person at Indian Railways booking counter or travel agency. You can do online reservations via IRCTC website or travel portals like Makemytrip.com, Yatra.com, or Cleartrip.com. However, third-party travel websites impose service charges and don’t display all trains.
This way, Indian Railways recently revamped its official IRCTC website to make it even easier to plan your trip and book your train tickets. As of May 2016, foreign tourists can pay and reserve tickets through their international cards on IRCTC NGET website. It is made possible through a new mobile-based online platform, ATOM. However, foreigners should have verified account in Indian Railways. It can be done online with their email address and international phone number, and Rs. 100 as registration fee. They can do online bookings in Indian Railways through Foreign Tourist quota, as on July 2017.
First of all, you need to register at IRCTC website to book online, if you haven’t done it yet. Here’s the detailed step by step guide to do Indian Railways reservation online –
- Visit IRCTC website. If you have your train details already and you are Indian resident, go to “Quick Book” tab on the left next to “Plan My Journey”. Otherwise click “Services” on the left top and select the option “Foreign Tourist Ticket Booking”. Enter all the train details required. Select e-ticket and click “Submit”.
- Fill the e-ticket reservation form and go to “Payment Option” at the bottom of page.
- Choose your payment method and click “Make Payment”. Select “International cards powered by Atom” if you are paying through international debit or credit card under “Credit Card/Payment Gateway” option.
- You will get booking confirmation once your transaction is processed. Print out the e-ticket and carry it when you travel.
Spot Your Train
- Indian Railways has added a new facility “Plan my Journey” on the official IRCTC NEXT Generation website. Click on it after logging in.
- Enter the name of source station and your destination station along with your date of journey.
- If there are no direct trains running from your source to destination station, you will get a message. You will want to try different names of station. Or you will get a list of trains. You can refine your search for trains by class and type of travel.
- Choose the desired class and train you want to travel through (and quota) and check availability of seats. You can also check train fare.
- If you don’t have availability on a specific train, you can see the Waitlist (WL) or Reservation Against Cancellation (RAC) status. If it is RAC, you can book a ticket and seat will be allotted to you if there are enough cancellations. By booking a Waitlist ticket, you won’t be able to board the train unless a seat is allotted and there are enough cancellations.
If you still have confusion then check out this website: https://www.irctcnextgen.in/